Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pug is pacing back and forth. She is sluggish in her walk…

Customer Question
My pug is pacing back...
My pug is pacing back and forth. She is sluggish in her walk and making snoring noises as she breathes. Her head is hanging down. It is mot reverse sneezing.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Any nasal discharge? What color? One sided or from both nostrils?

Any coughing?

Do you just think her respiratory noise is louder as opposed to sounding like a sneeze, cough, etc.?

She acted a little strangely yesterday afternoon walking very slowly and seemed to have trouble moving over the threshold of the sliding door to go out. After awhile she seemed fine until early evening. She started panting quit hard and snorting like gasping for air. She settled again and went to sleep until this morning around 5:30 when she started pacing slowing back and forth on the bed and breathing with difficult. I put her on the floor and she walked along the edge of the wall and into the corner of the guest bathroom. I picked her up and took her outside to see if she needed to go to the bathroom. She did not pee but did poop. She hasn't had any water since yesterday evening. Her gums are pale on her bottom teeth. I couldn't see the top. She is sitting and snoring but she is not asleep. Her breathing changes from normal to heavy panting. No discharge, and the only time she has coughed is when she choked herself out with her panting. Her respiratory noise is not the reverse sneezing. We have had experience with that. It is more of a gurgle snore. She can move around on her own but she is very slow and looks very pathetic.

Thank you,

So, are those gums paler for her?

Is she breathing faster then 30 breaths per minute when at rest?

You noted that she went to a corner, was she pressing her head into the wall?

Does she seem mentally depressed?

Any chance she ate anything that could have irritated her throat?

Does she seem sore anywhere?

We just took her to the emergency vet. Thank you.

No worries, my dear.

I will send your question about to customer service.

Take care,

Dr. B.