Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 4lb dog ate some homemade peppermint sugar scrub. It was…

Customer Question
My 4lb dog ate some...
My 4lb dog ate some homemade peppermint sugar scrub. It was maybe a tablespoon that had dripped out of the jar. It contains coconut oil, sugar, and peppermint oil. We do not have any emergency veterinary medicine where I live and I want to know if she'll be okay?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Shih tzu mix girl. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. I am not too concerned about this ingestion, however it really does depend on the mix of each of the ingredients in your homemade scrub. The oil and sugar would be absolutely fine if only 1 tablespoon was ingested. You could potentially see some gastrointestinal upset included potentially vomiting and diarrhea over the next 12 - 24 hours, but even this is unlikely if it was only a max of 1 tablespoon that was eaten by your girl. The peppermint oil could potentially cause an issue, however it really does depend on the quantity that was used in the product. If only a very small amount of peppermint oil was used to make the scrub, the amount present in 1 tablespoon of the final product is very unlikely to cause any harm here. To be safe, it is best to not induce vomiting here in case there was enough of the peppermint oil to cause irritation to the mouth and food pipe.

If you can, feed your girl some of her regular food now if she will eat it. From the morning, you are best to start her on a bland diet. For this, cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice is best for the next new couple of days in case she has a GI upset. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc