Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 19lb mini standard Dachshund who is 12 with chronic

Customer Question
Kidney disease(but fine otherwise) swallowed...
My 19lb mini standard Dachshund who is 12 with chronic Kidney disease(but fine otherwise) swallowed a 50mg pill of Myrebetriq which fell on the floor by accident. This happened at 5am approximately. I tried to get it out of her mouth but one of my other ones came over and she pulled away before I could retrieve it. My question is she is drinking more water than is usual for her(she drinks a lot anyway) and should I rush her to an emergency center or wait it out? I feel very negligent as my reasoning was quite stupid.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Myrebetriq is very toxic in dogs. And her kidneys are not functioning as well as they should to get the medication out of her system.

She ingested 6 mg per kg which is definitely a toxic dose.

So yes to the ER. Sorry I know that is not what you want to hear.

You can read more about toxicity here.

I hope this helps. If you have additional questions let me know.

If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking the stars.

Many Thanks

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian