Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My name is ***** ***** and my golden retriever is bloated,

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** and my golden retriever is bloated, lethargic and not urinating he has been on antibiotics and lacix for 5 days and hes not getting better

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

That's about it

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear of this with your golden. How old is he, please? Has the cause of his bloating been determined? I believe you're referring to an abdominal effusion - a collection of fluid in his abdominal cavity which has caused his bloating. This has many different etiologies including right-sided heart failure, both hepatic and renal insufficiency resulting in too low of an albumin level in the blood stream, inflammation from infection or neoplasia (cancer) in the abdomen, or there may be free blood present if the spleen or liver has ruptured - usually due to a ruptured tumor.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.