Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My name is ***** ***** and my golden retriever is bloated,

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** and my golden retriever is bloated, lethargic and not urinating he has been on antibiotics and lacix for 5 days and hes not getting better
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: that's about it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your golden. How old is he, please? Has the cause of his bloating been determined? I believe you're referring to an abdominal effusion - a collection of fluid in his abdominal cavity which has caused his bloating. This has many different etiologies including right-sided heart failure, both hepatic and renal insufficiency resulting in too low of an albumin level in the blood stream, inflammation from infection or neoplasia (cancer) in the abdomen, or there may be free blood present if the spleen or liver has ruptured - usually due to a ruptured tumor.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.