Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My mini pig is 8 weeks old and he is continually scratching…

Customer Question
My mini pig is 8...
My mini pig is 8 weeks old and he is continually scratching himself. He finds it aggitating and I can't find any ticks, fleas or mites on him. I have added coconut oil to his food and massaged cocoa butter into his skin. I have used a pet honeopathic itchy spray but he still has no relief.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I have read a lot of mini pig forums and websites to try to find out what the problem is. It seems that pigs have normally dry skin but my piglet is very irritated and he finds whatever he can to rub himself up against. I have only brought him from a breeder nine days ago.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There is a good chance that your guy is allergic to something rather than having dry skin. Dry skin will certainly cause itching but you have already treated for this. The next best thing to do is to give your guy Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This is an anti histamine that will help resolve any allergic reaction that your guy may be suffering from.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian