Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My mini pig is 8 weeks old and he is continually scratching

Customer Question

My mini pig is 8 weeks old and he is continually scratching himself. He finds it aggitating and I can't find any ticks, fleas or mites on him. I have added coconut oil to his food and massaged cocoa butter into his skin. I have used a pet honeopathic itchy spray but he still has no relief.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read a lot of mini pig forums and websites to try to find out what the problem is. It seems that pigs have normally dry skin but my piglet is very irritated and he finds whatever he can to rub himself up against. I have only brought him from a breeder nine days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There is a good chance that your guy is allergic to something rather than having dry skin. Dry skin will certainly cause itching but you have already treated for this. The next best thing to do is to give your guy Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This is an anti histamine that will help resolve any allergic reaction that your guy may be suffering from.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta