Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My name is ***** *****. My dog, Creasy, is an 11 yr old

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. My dog, Creasy, is an 11 yr old Australian Shepherd. A year and a half ago she came in covered with foxtails and was sneezing and hacking. Concerned she'd gotten a foxtail in her lung I took her to my country vet. He thought she might be having heart problems and prescribed medicine for that. I went back since she was still hacking and coughing. He decided it was allergies. We treated her for allergies. She has steadily gotten worse. He x-rayed her chest and sent x-rays to Idex. The radiologists decided she had a large (they guessed cancerous) tumor in her left lung. Time passed. She got worse. My husband insisted we take her for a second opinion. We did to Valley Oak - a new clinic with up to date equipment. They did a sonogram and biopsied her lung. Dr looked at cells and called my country vet and said he was positive it's cancer. However, the pathologists came back with negative on the cancer. We began treating her with antibiotics - my vet decided it was probably a foxtail in her lung after all. In 2 weeks she went from lying struggling to breathe to chasing my husband down the hall and biting him (playing). Then those antibiotics seemed to quit working so we switched to another kind. She did not respond well - quit eating and seemed to regress. We had just switched her to amoxicillin and now my vet is out of town. She is panting, and sits up constantly. I took her to the new fancy vet clinic thinking maybe she was simply constipated. They did a sonogram - she's not - has very little fecal matter in her. They sent her home with pain pills and anti nausea pills. That was noon today. She has since sat up and panted. I called back - they said to put her in a dark room where she could relax. She's so tired she's falling over but jumps back up in a sitting position and continues to pant.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

You already read what I wrote?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Whatever the cause, Creasy's panting and inability to lie down indicates respiratory compromise; in other words, when she lies down her lungs that contact the ground naturally collapse but that process decreases the amount of lung tissue available to be oxygenated and she already has less lung tissue available for that purpose due to a lung abscess, a thoracic effusion (fluid in the chest cavity), or another yet undefined problem. This is a patient who requires supplemental oxygen before anything more can be done for her. She needs to be in a 24-hour facility at this time.

Please give me an update on Creasy.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian