Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has had diarrhea days and it doesn't seem to be

Customer Question

My dog has had diarrhea for two days and it doesn't seem to be getting better. Is there anything I can do to help him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 year ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I would be delighted to help you with your pets problem, just give me a few moments to review your question and I will be right with you!

Ok. So your pet has diarrhea. Have you tried anything so far to help with this?

Adding fiber can help the colon retain water and correct diarrhea. A diet that contains whole grains (barley, oats, whole wheat), vegetables and fruit can all add fiber to the diet.

I would also recommend a probiotic. For over the counter products, I like pure Lactobacillus supplements for your pet. If this is hard to find, you can just give Culturelle, which is another probiotic that is in capsule form. I recommend keeping the capsules whole because the organism remain active inside this way. These are a once daily treatment.