Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

X-***** ***** shows compression of 6-7 in greyhounds neck.

Customer Question
X-***** ***** shows compression...

X-***** ***** shows compression of 6-7 in greyhounds neck. Rimadyl, gabapentin and laser reduced extreme limping but doctor thinks traction would help.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I'm Jeanne writing about the greyhounds limp

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Traction is an appealing approach in such cases but practically speaking not something we ordinarily perform in dogs. Traction for a thoracolumbar disk might be "hanging traction‟, whereby the owner slowly and gently picks up the dog so that the animal's spine is against the owners chest. The owner hugs the animal and allows its hind end to hang and dangle which may traction the spine. This treatment should cease if the animal struggles or symptoms worsen. Manual traction of the neck might be attempted by a physiotherapist but I'm not aware of any studies that evaluate the effectiveness of such therapy in this population of dogs and so without that evidence this evidence-based vet can't justify such a procedure which is not without significant risk.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.