Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a female dog---Chihhuah Mix. She is almost 4 years…

Customer Question
I have a female dog---Chihhuah...
I have a female dog---Chihhuah Mix. She is almost 4 years old,small build.She used to poop
on the papers like we taught her, but lately her back paws get weak and she stretches her body down and poops.When ever she plops down, that is where she poops,what do you think this means?Any treatments? Thanks-- Mrs. Vielca Brina
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago
Drhollowayvet

Hi my name is***** and I am licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question, but first I would like to ask you a few questions so that I am well informed about your pets’ situation and can give you the best advice possible.

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

I am sorry to hear you Chihuahua is experiencing what appears to be muscle weakness in the hindlimbs. How long has this been going on would you say?

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

I am going to opt out of the question at this time since it appears you are offline. If you do get back online another expert will hopefully be able to assist you with this matter.

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

I am still here if you need assistance in this matter.

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

Hey this is Dr. H again just checking in to see if you had any further questions regarding your pet Chihuahua?

I would also make sure that your pet is just not getting enough traction on the floor she is standing on. Sometimes long nails can be a cause for a pet losing their grip when crouching down in this position.

If this is not the case. I would suggest that your pet get a full examination by a veterinarian, they will check for muscle loss and muscle weakness. Bloodwork may also be indicated. A certain enzyme called Creatinine Kinase is elevated in cases of severe muscle loss and this can aid in the diagnosis of your pet's condition. - Dr. H

Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet