Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 4 month old I purchased as a stud dog from a

Customer Question
I have a 4 month...
I have a 4 month old ***** ***** I purchased as a stud dog from a breeder. It turns out that only one testicle came down and the other stayed in the canal near the abdomen. I can see and feel the larger of the two under the skin near the bottom of the penis near the scrotum. I have read minimally about a process called milking in which one could massage the recessed testicle down with some luck and if it stays, it is not then genetic or called Cryptorchidism. Could you comment on this please.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago
Drhollowayvet

Hi my name is***** and I am licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question, but first I would like to ask you a few questions so that I am well informed about your pets’ situation and can give you the best advice possible.

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

I do believe I can provide you some insight here, yes.

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

I have to ask here before we get started, are you planning on mating him with a female to breed?

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

I will add that we don't finalize the diagnosis of cryptorchidism to any pet until they are after 6 months of age.

However, massaging the testicle to try and force it through the inguinal canal still does not change the diagnosis of cryptorchidism. The pets genetics have to do this all on their own.

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

I hope this answers your question. I would suggest continuing to monitor weekly for any drop in the retained testicle up until Ivan is 6 months of age. At that point, if it is still in the inguinal canal, you can be sure that he is truly cryptorchid and will most likely not drop that testicle.

I also recommend that you don't breed him if this is the case, because his genetics have a high % chance of passing to his offspring.

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

Does this answer your question in full? Or do you have anything else you would like to ask me? - Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

I see that your status says you are currently offline. If there is any further assistance that I may provide, please let me know. - Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

If I have answered your question in full and satisfactory. I ask that you please provide a positive rating so that I may receive credit for the time it took to answer your question today, I would really appreciate it. : ) If you have any further questions/concerns you can always come back to the chat session and speak with me directly.