Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have purchased a mini Dachshund puppy and I will get m…

Customer Question
Hi, I have purchased a...
Hi, I have purchased a mini Dachshund puppy and I will get him tomorrow. Yesterday the breeder let me know, that she has neutered him already at 8 weeks old. I have some concerns about weather he will have problems growing strong enough, because this was done so early. What should I watch out for and will he be a happy puppy? will this slow him down? Lisa
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, Lisa. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now we are actually neutering earlier these days and rarely do we see any adverse issues because of that. Especially in our smaller breeds since they do tend to mature quickly anyway. Therefore, we'd not assume that this is going to cause Miko any issues. And as he is still very much a puppy, this should not slow him down at all.

If anything, we would just need to keep an eye on how much we feed since an entire male tends to require a higher calorie diet then a neutered one. As well, since some dogs can be more prone to fear aggression without the influence of testosterone from the testes (though this is heavily dependant on the dog's personality), we would just want to ensure that Miko is well socialised during his impressionable first 12 weeks of life. Therefore, we'd want to expose him to kids, cats, other (vaccinated) dogs, noises, and anything he may face in his lifetime. Meeting these things when he is impressionable will help him learn that they are not scary and help him in the future. So, that would be advisable here just in case he were to be prone to fear induced behavior issues; but really something all pups should be well socialized at this age no matter their neutering status.

Overall, this shouldn't play any major role in Miko's health or future. So, we just want to make sure (as we would for any pup) that he is well socialized and that we monitor his weight and development.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Miko. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian