Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog started holding s moth open 2 days ago.
, He is

Customer Question
My dog started holding his...
My dog started holding his moth open 2 days ago.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is a French Bulldog. He does not seem to have pain. His snoring has changed in the past few days (the sound & increased frequency). I can't tell if his nasal passages are clogged.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago
Drhollowayvet

Hi my name is***** and I am licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question, but first I would like to ask you a few questions so that I am well informed about your pets’ situation and can give you the best advice possible.

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

I am sorry to hear you have some concerns about your Frenchie. How old is he?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3 years old
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

Are you currently in the room with him?

If you are, is he doing the open mouth breathing right now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just sent a text photo
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok I will wait until it comes in. I don't see it as of yet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I take him to our local vet for a physical exam of his nasal passages?
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

Well. I am not sure yet. Does he seem to be in respiratory distress (i.e. Tongue turning blue, respiratory rate > 40)

You can check his respiratory rate by counting each breathe he takes up to 10 seconds, then multiply that number by 6

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No Distress. I'll try to check the breathing rate. Should try to hold his mouth closed?
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

No, let him breathe regularly on his own. Just observe him

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
look like he's at @ 30
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok good! That means his breathing rate is normal and he is not in distress. : )

Have you ever had a veterinarian in the past look closely at his nares (nose) to see if there was ideal space between the nostrils?

Typically veterinarians know this common condition called "stenotic nares" exists in this breed and will examine for this when they are puppies.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
his are not as narrow as most. This is the first time in all his years that he has done this.
I'm not so sure I like using this service for this type of event. I would rather take him for a physical exam. Thanks for your time.
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

If he has not been examined for this. Have a professional look at his nares to ensure there is adequate spacing.

Also if he does this open mouth breathing only periodically, especially after times of hard play or exercise, then it could be a normal response that is just compounded with the fact that he is one of the many brachycephalic breeds (pushed in nose).

Brachycephalic breeds can have multiple defects that contribute to breathing problems or breathing through the mouth and they include:

1) Elongated soft palate

2) Stenotic nares - I mentioned earlier

3) Laryngeal problems - these can progress in serious situations and cause hacking and coughing. This can cause an ER situation for pets and veterinary attention should be sought immediately if you notice this.

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes I agree. I would prefer he get a thorough examination. And this service is not for everyone. However, I was able to detect for you that he is not in an emergency situation right now and he is stable. Which is good! At the very least you have some tools in your belt to mull over on your way to the vet so that you are involved in the treatment plan that he/she may present. Owners most of the time use this service so that they are better informed and not in the dark. They also want to know if their pets situation is an emergency

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

Nonetheless. I would ask that you please give me a positive rating so that I may receive credit for the time it took to chat with you today, I would really appreciate it. : ) If you have any further questions/concerns you can always come back to the chat session and speak with me directly.

Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet