Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 11 year old beagle has been moaning during bowel

Customer Question
movements for several weeks...
My 11 year old beagle has been moaning during bowel movements for several weeks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I will help you.

Were the rectal exam and xray normal?

Is Mayzy's stool hard, soft or normal?

Mayzy's stool tends to be on the doff side
Her exam showed slight inflammation in the anal area
She has 2-3 movements a day also she seems gassy

What are you feeding her?

Canned dog food at one meal
Cooked chicken or steak at the second meal
She used to go out and eat grass almost daily until this started but since has stopped

Has your vet suggested a food trial to see if she has a food allergy?

No they suggested adding pumpkin to her diet but it didn't change anything

I' going to suggest psyllium. This is a natural product veterinary nutritionists are using. It is one of the ingredients in Metamucil. (But don't use that because it also has other ingredients )

You can find psyllium in health food stores. It is a plant material in the form of small flakes. It is very inexpensive.

Now tell me how much Mayzy weighs.

Approximately 30lbs

That's what I guessed - it's a typical beagle weight.

Ok, mix ½ tsp in a small amount of canned food. Let her eat this first and follow with the rest of her meal. Do this with her second meal too, but follow the psyllium/canned food with her chicken/steak dinner.

Okay so 1/2 tsp twice a day
I also bought a probiotic for dogs for digestive health but was afraid to give it to her not to make matters worse

The reason for mixing it in canned food is because it will form a gel very rapidly. So mix it in just about a tablespoon of canned food.

Animals accept it well.

Use it for a couple of weeks. If there is no improvement, have your vet start a food trial for a food allergy.

Thank you
Would you suggest giving her a probiotic as well?

Only make one change at a time. Try the psyllium. If it works keep doing it and then add the probiotic. And see how she does.

Let me explain a food trial.

To check for food allergies she would get food she has never had before. Not a new brand, but new proteins. For example kangaroo and millet. If she eats the new diet for 4 to 8 weeks and her digestive problems clear up, then we can say that she has a food allergy or intolerance. Then different foods are added to see what she will tolerate.

If you have any questions you can ask - even after the rating.

Good luck with the psyllium.

Will do
Thank you

You are welcome!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mayzy. How is everything going?
Dr Marta Lepes
After our consult I had a thought
We got a beagle puppy in November and Mayzy started helping herself to the Blue Diamond Freedom high protein puppy food
I'm now wondering if she's having a reaction to it so I'm making sure it's completely inaccessible
Her stool seems a little more normal even though it's only been about three days
I haven't started the psyllium as of yet. Thought I start with removing the puppy food to start

The puppy food may have been too rich for her. It also could be higher in fat and if Mayzy has borderline pancreatitis the food could cause a flare up. Signs are vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. Keep her away from all fatty foods. And of course, the puppy food.

Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian