Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I accidentally gave my small dog (weighs about 20 lbs) a 2mg…

Customer Question
I accidentally gave my small...
I accidentally gave my small dog (weighs about 20 lbs) a 2mg Prazosin capsule meant for my bigger, 60 lb. dog. That was about 10 hours ago. He is now having trouble walking and seems disoriented. I got him up to go to the bathroom and he was very unsteady. He takes selegiline 10mg daily, and has had trouble with his balance and hind end/leg stiffness and pain.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear of this with your 13 year old. There were 56 single agent exposures to prazosine reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center during 2009-2013. Of the 30 dogs, 12 were symptomatic with 50% being ataxic ("drunken sailor") as you described, and 25% being lethargic or trembling. It's much too late for gut decontamination with activated charcoal. There are no pharmacokinetic parameters for this drug in veterinary species and so the duration of action in your dog is unknown. Dosing for dogs of his weight, however, is recommended at 1 mg three times daily as adjunctive treatment of heart failure and so at 2 mg I expect him to remain safe albeit "drunk". If he remained ataxic or, indeed, worsened over the next 6 hours (16 hours total during which he would ordinarily be given a total of 2 mg) his heart rate and blood pressure should be monitored at a 24-hour facility. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you! That probably saved me hundreds of dollars for a trip to the vet ER (hopefully I won't have to take him later or tomorrow). He seems to be a bit better already.

Thank goodness. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian