Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Cat 9 months on zenequin will be changed to Clavamox, here…

Customer Question
Cat 9 months on zenequin...
Cat 9 months on zenequin will be changed to Clavamox, here is culture: ALSO a second question. Does xenequin cover microplasma felis or ureaplasma in cats?
Staphylococcus felis
3+
Penicillin Resistant (>=0.5 ug/ml)
Amoxicillin Resistant
Amoxicillin /
Clavulanic Acid
Sensitive (<=2 ug/ml)
Oxacillin Sensitive (<=0.25 ug/ml)
Imipenem Sensitive
Cephalexin Sensitive (<=2 ug/ml)
Cefovecin Sensitive (<=0.5 ug/ml)
Cefpodoxime Sensitive (<=0.5 ug/ml)
Amikacin Sensitive
Gentamicin Sensitive (<=0.5 ug/ml)
Ciprofloxacin Sensitive
Enrofloxacin Sensitive (<=0.5 ug/ml)
Marbofloxacin Sensitive (=8 ug/ml)
Clindamycin Resistant (>=4 ug/ml)
Tetracycline Resistant (>=16 ug/ml)
Mupirocin Sensitive (<=1 ug/ml)
Chloramphenicol Sensitive
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Clavamox makes more sense considering the possible adverse effect of marbofloxacin. The cephalosporins (cephalexin, cefpodoxime) are also good choices for Staph infections as was shown in the bacterial culture and sensitivity. Cefovecin is a cephalosporin but an injectable only. Pradofloxacin has been shown to have efficacy against Mycoplasma spp. Marbofloxacin is "generally effective against Mycoplasma spp." according to Plumb's Veterinary Handbook, 8th Ed., Plumb, 2011. It's reasonable to assume that all of the fluroquinolone antibiotics ("-oxacins") have efficacy against Mycoplasma spp.

clavamox would not cover microplasma?

And if you would is there a relation between microplasma and ureaplasma?

Clavamox is a good choice in young animals and is effective for most organisms with the exception of Mycoplasma spp. because these organisms lack a cell wall (which Clavamox attacks).

Mycoplasma spp. and Ureaplasma spp. are similar small bacteria in the class Mollicutes. They are expected to have the same susceptibility and resistance to antibiotics. Here's what you need to know about them:

• Mycoplasma/ureaplasma spp. are bacteria that live as normal flora in the upper respiratory tract and distal urethra and cause opportunistic infections in susceptible individuals.
    • Isolation of these bacteria alone is not evidence of infection; concurrent clinical signs and response to treatment must be observed to confirm the diagnosis.
  • Pulmonary mycoplasmal infections are presumed to occur secondary to transfer of organisms from upper respiratory tract to the lungs. Often occurs as part of multi-organism pneumonia but can be sole causative agent.
  • Mycoplasma or ureaplasma spp. should not be found in the healthy urinary bladder. Urinary tract infections occur as a result of ascending opportunistic infections. Often found with mixed populations of bacteria.
  • Mycoplasma/ureaplasma spp. are not known to play a causative role in idiopathic feline lower urinary tract signs/disease.
  • M. felis has been associated with conjunctivitis, rhinosinusitis, pneumonia, chronic bronchial disease, and arthritis in cats. Synovitis/arthritis is extremely rare and typically associated with immunosuppression.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

looking at my list of antibiotics (sensitivity) what which would you recommend as a substitute for zeniqin for the last 2 weeks of treatment for 9 month old cat with staff (rather than clavamox) and just as a secondary plus covers microplasma as other cats in home in past were positive and treated. And would 3 weeks kill microplasma?

And as we are treating all the cats for staph to be safe and have the one pregnant cat ( on clavamox) is there one safe for her or clavamox is safest for pregnant cat and I wont worry about chance of microplasma. she has tested neg a couple of years ago BUT was exposed to new kitten with pos microplasma that we waited until 13 weeks old to treat with doxy until 2nd teeth came in.

Cefpodoxime - which also has the advantage of being a once daily drug...but it doesn't address Mycoplasma. Doxycycline (which wasn't on the list) is the drug of choice for mycoplasma and the fluoroquinolones are second choices. 14-28 days of doxycycline or a fluoroquinolone is typical for Mycoplasma.