Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs poop is incasted I slimy mucus,she is a cocker and…

Customer Question
My dogs poop is incasted...
My dogs poop is incasted I slimy mucus,she is a cocker and she never misses a scrap of food, can I put her on a bland diet, and can I use ground chicken and brown rice?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago
Drhollowayvet

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** and I am licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question, but first I would like to ask you a few questions so that I am well informed about your pets’ situation and can give you the best advice possible.

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello Judi. Yes you can most definitely put her on a bland diet to see how things progress over the next 24-48 hrs. Bland chicken (no seasonings with brown rice or even cottage cheese is ok to do).

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

Does diva have any other symptoms besides the mucousy stool? Does she go to see the vet regularly for fecal exams?

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'll follow up for Dr. Holloway for you. Please let me know if you still need help. Chicken breast and white rice is a standard bland diet appropriate for transient and mild gastrointestinal distress. The mucus you're seeing indicates excessive mucus being produced by glands in the colon and so indicates a colitis but not the etiolgy of the colitis which might have arisen from a dietary indiscretion - eating something new, inappropriate, spoiled, or perhaps a non-food item; or more serious disorders such as pancreatitis and hepatitis which can affect the gastrointestinal tract as well. In general, 72 hours of a bland diet and "watchful waiting" should normalize a simple colitis. If you didn't see Diva respond in a positive manner, her vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam on her including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and perhaps X-rays or ultrasound of Diva's abdomen.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian