Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Ear swollen pocket that has blood in it

Customer Question
ear swollen pocket that has blood in it
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your poodle. It sounds like he has an ear hematoma? You say it is draining- do you mean your vet has drained it?

If so, how many times has it been drained and has bandaging been used afterwards to apply pressure to the ear?

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. The reason it keeps coming back is the ear will continue to bleed inside for a few weeks. So draining is not effective.

There are a few options.

1. Do nothing. The ear will heal and the blood will re-absorb in 2-3 months. The ear will heal with a wrinkled appearance and there will be areas of hard tissue.

2. Have a drain put in that has a cap you can remove for 2-3 weeks. You will remove the cap on the drain to let the fluid out of the ear daily. That will have to be placed by a vet.

3. Have the ear sutured from one side to the other so the ear can not fill up again. The sutures will remain in for 3 weeks. If the dog shakes the head a lot the ear can be taped to the top of the head or an e-collar can be worn. This is the method I use and I usually add a few days of pain control into the plan to decrease the discomfort and head shaking.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?