Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Ear swollen pocket that has blood in it

Customer Question
ear swollen pocket that has blood in it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your poodle. It sounds like he has an ear hematoma? You say it is draining- do you mean your vet has drained it?

If so, how many times has it been drained and has bandaging been used afterwards to apply pressure to the ear?

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. The reason it keeps coming back is the ear will continue to bleed inside for a few weeks. So draining is not effective.

There are a few options.

1. Do nothing. The ear will heal and the blood will re-absorb in 2-3 months. The ear will heal with a wrinkled appearance and there will be areas of hard tissue.

2. Have a drain put in that has a cap you can remove for 2-3 weeks. You will remove the cap on the drain to let the fluid out of the ear daily. That will have to be placed by a vet.

3. Have the ear sutured from one side to the other so the ear can not fill up again. The sutures will remain in for 3 weeks. If the dog shakes the head a lot the ear can be taped to the top of the head or an e-collar can be worn. This is the method I use and I usually add a few days of pain control into the plan to decrease the discomfort and head shaking.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian