Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog popped her right leg out of socket playing with her

Customer Question

my dog popped her right leg out of socket playing with her sister. she popped it back in but limps. do they do anything for this in a dog.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about what happened to Emily. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Yes, we will put the leg in a sling for a few weeks once it is popped back in to try to keep it in place while she heals. If she is still limping, I would take an Xray to be sure it is back in joint, and then put on a figure 8 or "Ehmer" sling:

http://www.dogleggs.com/ehmersling/

I would not put on the sling until I took an xray to be sure it is in place.

Pain medication would also help, if she is still limping. The best and safest ones for dogs are by prescription. You can give 1 low dose or baby aspirin, 1 for every 15 to 20 pounds, with food, once to twice daily. Stop if there is vomiting. Do not give any other over the counter pain medication but aspirin.

Let me know if this is helpful, and what else I can answer. I hope she is doing better soon.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Emily doing?