Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had a sanitary cut today during a routine check up…

Customer Question
My dog had a sanitary...
My dog had a sanitary cut today during a routine check up and they scraped her behind she is very uncomfortable and we can not sleep she is a 7 yr old Pekinese .
How can we help her.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 2 years ago
Ola Barrett

Hello, I am Dr RB.. Poor Jiali.. A too-close sanitary clip is practically the same thing as diaper rash in a baby. Do you have access to any Desitin cream? It will soothe the area and protect it from the environment. Another option would be plain petroleum jelly which would protect it but may not be as soothing as the Desitin cream. You can also apply a cool (not cold) compress to the area to decrease swelling and irritation. A cool water dishcloth compress for 10-15 minutes every few hours should help greatly. Most importantly, try to prevent her scooting or licking this area which can further traumatize the area and make her prone to skin infection. You may have to get her an e-collar to prevent this. If these remedies aren't helpful on their own and she is still very uncomfortable tomorrow, I would make her an appointment with her regular veterinarian who may need to prescribe oral anti-inflammatories. But hopefully it won't come to that. I hope this information is helpful to you. Let me if you have any other questions. Also, if you are happy with my advice, please take the time to rate my response;)

Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello just checking to see how Jiali is doing today? Let me know if you have other questions? If you are satisfied with my response, please take the time to give me a positive rating..thanks so much;)

Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello again.. I hope Jiali is doing much better. Please take the time to rate my response for my professional time and effort to help you and your pet?

Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 2 years ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jiali. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett