How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 29834
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ingested a regular size band side containing

Customer Question

My dog ingested a regular size band side containing benzalkonium chloride in the pad. Will this hurt her?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

While benzalkonium chloride is considered toxic to dogs, there isn't enough of that disinfectant in a regular size BandAide to intoxicate even the smallest of dogs. Ingesting such an unusual "food", however, can always cause transient gastrointestinal distress as evidenced by inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea. I wouldn't induce emesis or treat in any manner and i wold expect Lexie to remain unaffected. (There are a number of over the counter wound care products for dogs containing this disinfectant.)

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Quick response! Thank you for your services.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.