Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I believe my 18 lb Bichipoo ate a dryer sheet.

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Was the sheet used?

2- How long has it been since she ate it?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

the sheet was used. Probably ate it within the last half hr. I do have peroxide

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the concern with the ingestion of a used dryer sheet would be a possible obstruction. To induce vomiting this is what you can do:

1- Give her 2 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit or you do not see the sheet in the vomit change her diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the sheet in the feces. Make sure you are checking her stool; if you don't see the sheet within 48 hours I would have her checked by family vet for xrays with barium.

4- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Hi Maureen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Puddin. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian