Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is doing this coughing thing and it's like there is…

Customer Question
Hello my dog is doing...
Hello my dog is doing this coughing thing and it's like there is something in his throat but can't cough it up .. He's 13 and a lab and appears happy and well able to eat etc
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Any other symptoms?

He's quite old, over weight with arthritis , it's seems to effect him more wen lying down, it's kind of being going on 8 weeks but def getting more persistent , I added a video of him there

I am sorry I can't see the video. Can you re-post it?

It doesn't seem to attach , is there an email I can send it too

I am not set up with an email that I can share, I am sorry. I will opt out so another expert that is can help you.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'll follow up for Dr. Peter for you. You can upload the video to an external site such as YouTube and then give me the link to it. Remember to not mark it as "private". If you have a problem doing so,***@******.*** can help you.

My initial thought is that that handsome fellow suffers from laryngeal paralysis - a very common disorder in elderly Labs which results in a gagging cough often with a terminal retch.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian