Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2 year old rescue 8lb malti-poo seemed to be potty

Customer Question
trained when I got him...
My 2 year old rescue 8lb malti-poo seemed to be potty trained when I got him in San Diego, however is a marker if left unattended. When contained in my room, he never had any accidents, yet never asked to go out. I would keep him on a routine. Recently, we moved to New Jersey and I noticed he started using the restroom on my bathmat. Now it seems like he is peeing/marking everywhere when left unattended. He has peed on the side of my comforter on the floor, and just this minute on my pillow that was on the floor waiting for a wash. Is this just a behavior issue or could he have a UTI but not showing symptoms? He is acting fine, eating and drinking. I will admit we are not able to walk as often, but I am home more now that I am working from home and only leave for personal reasons for a few hours 3xs a week. Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your issues with your pup! It does sounds like perhaps he hasn't fully learned potty training! Give me a few minutes to type here and I will give you some ideas.

In terms of a UTI, they are possible, but less common in male dogs. Usually with these we see them peeing small amounts at a time, peeing much more often, sometimes blood or a bad smell to the urine, sometimes decreased energy or appetite, and sometimes drinking more water than usual. He isn't showing any of these signs?

No he hasn't exhibited any signs of weird behavior, or changes in diet or excercise and his urine is super normal, since I've been smelling a lot of it lately!
hello?

Too funny! Sorry , it takes awhile to type all this out...

So I suspect we are going to need a retraining period for your guy. This is gonna involve some commitment on your part, and possibly a temporary change in his lifestyle while you are not around. Meaning if he is free in the house and peeing on stuff while you are gone/not supervising him, he is going to need to go in a crate or a pen temporarily, at least until he is potty trained again. The problem with letting a dog loose when you aren't home or aren't able to supervise is that every time they do go potty in your house, they are giving themselves a positive reinforcement because it feels good to go pee when you have to pee, so they pee on your rug, and it feels good, so they want to do it again. So we have to eliminate their chances of peeing on the floor or wherever they are peeing by confining them to a small area when not directly supervised.

So any time you are not home, you need to have him confined, and any time you are home but can't watch him like a hawk, you need to have him confined. When you are home and he is loose, you need to watch him like a hawk. I recommend putting him on a longer leash and attaching him to you or the chair you are sitting in so he can't wander off and pee. You want to watch him for signs he is going to pee, such as wandering off, sniffing around on the ground, and catch him before this happens! Also, take him out on a regular schedule and reward him when he goes potty outside.

Here is a brief overview on the potty training plan:

http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/a_foolproof_potty-training_plan

And this link is a downloadable guide:

http://info.drsophiayin.com/free-puppy-potty-training-guide/

You can also help train him to let you know he has to go by training him to ring a bell by the door. To do this, you can get a big jingle bell and hang it on a ribbon etc.. from your door knob so that it is at his nose level. Then each time you take him outside, take little treat and hold it right next to/behind the bell so he has to touch the bell with his nose to get the treat, then go outside. Eventually he will learn that ringing the bell will get him outside and start using it on his own!

Thanks.

You are welcome!

If you have any other questions, please let me know.. If you do not have any other questions, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!