Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a lab and her ear is swollen so that it feels lit it…

Customer Question
I have a lab and...
I have a lab and her ear is swollen so that it feels lit it is to pop. what do i need to do to bring relief?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on the signs you are reporting, I would be concerned that you lass has an ear hematoma. This is essentially a blood blister that arises secondary to ear infections or irritations that trigger capillary rupture as the dog shakes their heads or scratches their ears. We can see it related to ear trauma, but that tends to be less common.

Now to start, we need to avoid aspirin here. It is a mild pain relief but its also a blood thinner. This means it could be making this worse. Instead, if she is sore, we'd need her local vet to start dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Onsior, Previcox, Rimadyl) and treatment for the underlying cause. Of course, if this is very severely full (they do not tend to pop since high pressure does reduce bleeding) then you can have your vet drain this as long as the bleeding isn't active. As well, they can also inject steroids into the hematoma to reduce overall inflammation and discomfort. Finally, I would just note that with severe cases, we do sometimes need to take these above steps but also tack the skin of the ear back down to the cartilage to prevent recurrence.

Overall, this sounds like an ear hematoma that may be arising secondary to an ear infection. Therefore, if this is severe, we need to absolutely stop the Aspirin and consider the above. Finally, in the meantime, I would also note that you can at least warm compress the hematoma to encourage the body to resorb the blood. Just to note, if you do not have a warm compress then you can make one by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)