Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am trying to decide if i should opt spay puppy.
,

Customer Question
Hello. i am trying...

Hello. i am trying to decide if i should opt for laparoscopic spay for my puppy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Sure. i have a shih-poo. she's about 7 1/2 pounds. and 8 1/2 months. she has been in heat once. she has a very sensitive stomach - diarrhea as a stress response. i am very worried about her being in pain and discomfort my regular vet doesn't offer laparoscopic spay so i don't know if i should go to another vet.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm going to be very honest here and say that the option for laparoscopic procedures in veterinary medicine are pretty limited. I'm going to be honest and say that I personally don't know of anyone doing laparoscopic spay procedures. I know your little girl is pretty sensitive based on what you've described, but the reality is that the standard spay procedure through a ventral midline incision is a very well tolerated surgical event that they typically bounce back from very, very well. The incision needed to perform this for one her size will most likely be two inches in length. I always tell owners that incisions heal from side to side and not from end to end. I would talk to your vet and let them know your concern for her comfort after the procedure and they will help to ease your worries by their talking about how they will manage that with post procedure pain control. I'm very glad to hear you're going to get her spayed as I see numerous girl's at my ER clinic that don't get spayed that end up with life threatening infections in their uterus called a pyometra. The spay procedure will keep this from happening!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?