Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog's name is ***** *****. She's eleven years old west…

Customer Question
Hi my dog's name...

Hi my dog's name is ***** *****. She's eleven years old west hylander/Scottish mix. Her eyes seem to form a crust around them. Also she has formed two small lumps under her belly. Her diet had consist of science diet for years, then I had switched to kibbles n bits, then recently to purina one blend.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

***** *****'s eleven years old west hylander/Scottish mix. Her eyes seem to form a crust around them. Also she has formed two small lumps under her belly. Her diet had consist of science diet for years, then I had switched to kibbles n bits, then recently to purina one blend.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear of this with your 11 year old. The crust forms when discharge from her eyes dries on her face. Her eyes need to be examined for an allergic, infectious, or immune-mediated conjunctivitis, keratoconjunctivitis sicca ("dry eye"/a lack of tear production), eyelash and eyelid abnormalities, and problems deeper inside the globe of her eyes which have resulted in excess discharge from her eyes.

The small bumps can be needle aspirated by her vet. The aspirate is examined microscopically. It's not unusual to find benign lipomas (fatty globs) under the skin at her age but more serious mammary tumors need to be considered in that area particularly if she hasn't been spayed. I don't believe that either her eyes or her skin bumps are related to her good diet.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian