Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My name is ***** ***** and I am wondering if my female dog…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** and I am wondering if my female dog is going through depression after weening the puppies. She weened them about 4 weeks old. She is completely dried up but she doesn't want to go outside much anymore and just doesn't seem as active.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

She seems to be eating fine. But she just doesn't seem to have the energy. One male thinks she is in heat again. I did notice she has a small amount of blood on the vulva. So, am thinking she is just having a hormone change and is maybe depressed from the quick change in hormones. I also have two other females that had puppies at the same time. So it made it easy on her to ween the puppies quickly

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

We don't recognize post-partum depression in dogs, Monika. You're likely to be correct that hormonal and prostaglandin changes at this time are more likely to be the cause of her behavior. Progesterone level drop below 2 mg/mL. I'm concerned, however, that you're seeing a bloody discharge at this time. While return to estrus so quickly isn't unheard of in dogs, it's far more common in cats. It would be prudent to have her vet perform a simple vaginal cytology - microscopic exam of your dog's vaginal cells - to see if proestrus has, indeed, arisen or, instead, the blood represents early post-partum metritis - uterine infection. Infection would seem unlikely, however, because she continues to be normally appetent.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.