Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Can I give my pit (female, 7 yrs old, good general health,

Customer Question

Can I give my pit bull (female, 7 yrs old, good general health, 70 lbs) baby aspirin for pain?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If your lass is on no other medication and has no pre-existing health issues, then you can consider giving Aspirin for mild pain relief. Of course, it cannot be used if she has suffered a recent injury or trauma where bleeding could have occurred since Aspirin is a blood thinner and could make her situation worse. If that is not an issue, then a 70lb dog can have 350mg every 12 hours. This should be given after food +/- an antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)) to offset any GI upset from this. And if she is too sore for the effects of Aspirin to soothe her, then we'd want to speak to her vet about stronger options (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, or Previcox) or pain relief medication that can be used alongside Aspirin (ie Tramadol, Gabapentin, Buprenorphine, etc)

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)