Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Each spring we take our Collie/Shepherd mix to the groomer…

Customer Question
Each spring we take our...
Each spring we take our Collie/Shepherd mix to the groomer and get her fur cut down for summer. Each year her fur grows back beautiful for winter. This year however it has grown back in patches over her back. Is this ok or should we take her to a vet. Could there be something wrong?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear about Sadie Marie not growing her coat back. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

This is not unusual for a dog not to grow the coat back after being shaved even if they did grow hair back before. Sometimes after a couple of years it does grow back. Sometimes, it never does grow back on it own.

The first thing to try is Melatonin, which is available over the counter. I would start at 3 to 6 mg twice daily.

Is she spayed? Some older unspayed female dogs develop Alopecia X, and spaying them often will grow the hair again.

A skin biopsy by your veterinarian could tell us why she is not growing hair.

If she is spayed and the melatonin does not help, the next thing to try is flax seed oil with lignans.

Let me know if this is helpful and if you have any other questions.

I have not heard back from you. I hope you were able to see what I wrote! Let me know if I can answer anything else. Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian