Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 8 month old dog is constantly vommiting and the inside of

Customer Question
Hi my 8 month old...
Hi my 8 month old dog is constantly vommiting and the inside of his ears are red.I gave him water after it looked like it came all up now he's just vommiting water he won't sleep in his bed and just wants to sleep under me can you help me please
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been showing signs?

What allergy tablet did you give? What dose and what is his weight? Why was this given?

Can he keep any water down at all?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's been going on for 4 hours now I gave him a piece of a child's Benadryl not even a whole half.He is about 80 pounds I gave it to him i figured he had a bad reaction to something and he's barely keeping the water down. The gums look normal and no discomfort in the belly area
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just a lot of noise from his belly

Thank you,

Now that is a low dose thankfully, but we don't want to give anymore Benadryl since it can cause GI upset itself and doesn't treat it at all. So, that is best avoided. Instead, if we are trying reduce nausea and that upset we can hear, we'd want to use an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And I would note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

If he can keep that down and is steadier on his stomach, you can start him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk).The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, his signs could be related to something he has been exposed to but we can also see these signs due to GI infections, pancreatitis, and dietary indiscretions. Red ears that aren't swollen just fit with his blood pressure being up with all this vomiting. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 8-12 hours (since he is young); then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much very helpful

You are very welcome,

Take care & have a great day,

Dr. B.

*Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian