Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My female dog is swollen between her anus and where she

Customer Question
pees. What should I do...
My female dog is swollen between her anus and where she pees. What should I do? It almost looks like little sacks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Can I get her name? What breed is she? How old is she? Is she licking / scooting more now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Coco, 7, teacup poodle. She has really bad allergies but this is new. She doesn't lick or scoot more than normal.

I like the name Coco for a teacup poodle! Any time I hear about an owner describing a swelling between the rectum and the vaginal region, an anal gland issue has to be very suspect. If you look at the swelling, it may seem to be a little to the 7 or 5 o'clock position in relation to the rectum. Dogs can get their anal glands impacted / blocked and this can then lead to a secondary infection that abscesses there. If you can visibly see swelling, this isn't something that you can express / or should try to express. The best thing to do is to get her to your vet to have them evaluate the swelling and if it is the anal gland being blocked / abscessed, they can take the needed steps to help her. Most of the time when they get really swollen, they need to be lanced to flush them. Once they are drained, then a course of oral antibiotics can be started to help with the secondary infection.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I send a photo? Its not that close to anus so don't think thats it...

You can attach a photo with the paper clip icon just above. I'm curious to see what you're seeing!

I got the photo. I'm trying to make sure i'm oriented correctly. Her belly is at the top. I can see her vaginal area, but I'm not able to see her rectum. The area at the top of the vaginal region looks full in appearance. There is no obvious injury / bruising. The skin isn't irritated or having any obvious exudate. Sometimes on fuller figured females, they can have some fat in this region that can make that area look a little fuller. If she isn't spayed, then that may be a part of the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct position. Under her vagina area is like little indentations, swollen. She's very fit- 4.5 pounds, no fat so its not that. This just happened about 5 days ago. She seems much hungrier too. Don't know if its related.

Based on those pictures, it doesn't seem to fit with an anal gland issue. Could the area there be slightly irritated and have some swelling due to that? The skin doesn't look that angry in the area. Being more hungry could be an issue but it wouldn't seem to be tied to this. Increased appetite along with increased drinking and urination could signal diabetes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was red but I am putting anti inflammatory cream on it. what do you think the cause of irritation is? Want to get rid of it...

Some can just have that area being a little more moist due to urine getting on the area. This can cause a mild case of perivulvar dermatitis. Typically keeping the area clean and dry will for a lot of cases have the irritation go away. It is important to make sure that from a urinary aspect that they aren't dribbling urine while they sleep or having accidents / increased need to go as this could indicate other issues that may be tied into it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She's not having accidents and is very clean

That is good that she's not having accidents and staying clean there. If she has been eating more, could it be a little fat being laid down in that area to make it more prominent? This can be an area that has that happen. Keeping that area clean and dry and making sure she's not licking the area may help it. As long as she's urinating normally, the area isn't looking angry, there are no sores, then this may be something that time determines if it is the new normal for her or if this goes back down.

As I look at the picture again, could there be a bit of perivular dermatitis? That is a question I have. Wiping the area with a clean baby wipe once a day can help to remove any debris / material that is accumulating in the depression there. This may help to keep it quiet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian