Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 4 y/o rott with a hx of Inflammatory bowel disease…

Customer Question
Hi I have a 4 y/o...
Hi
I have a 4 y/o rott with a hx of Inflammatory bowel disease which has been stable for about two years with 1 mg of busdesimide weekly . He has formed stools and no diarrhea. About 10 weeks ago, he underwent a TPL/TPO surgery for a torn ACL and has had an uneventful recovery. The other night and again tonight he started salivating a lot, almost like a cholinergic response-(but he has not been into anything that would cause that). The other night he had a large emesis after a couple of hours of some undigested food. He gets a cup of duck/potato limited ingridients three times a day. He has seemed fine from that episode three nights ago until now. Now he wants to go outside to eat grass. His stomach has normal bowel sounds and does not seem distended. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Can I get his name? So here tonight, is he salivating more? Is there any chance of him getting into something different here tonight?

Name of dog is Jeep - No he didn't get into anything.. He has been watched all day.. I read about bloat and have had horses with colic.. So I gave him a couple of Pepcid -and then walked him for about 20 mins. I did examine his stomach before and after-did not seem tender or distended.

I like the name Jeep! I can honestly say I've never had a dog come into my clinic with that unique name! Bloat / GDV is typically a very obvious situation. It is an extremely critical one to recognize early as it requires surgical correction. When it happens, they typically have non-productive retching / vomiting. They can sometimes bring up foam (saliva that has been swallowed but doesn't reach the stomach due the twist) when they retch. They will typically have a distended abdomen that when tapped sounds like a base drum. With him acting as he is with the eating of the grass, he may be finding that he just likes the taste and texture of that particular grass. My own dog will at times find random grass that she just has to eat. With the salivation that was seen, that has me suspicious that at that point he was feeling nauseated. Profuse salivation accompanies nausea a lot of the time. What made him nauseated? That is the mystery. Some will want to eat grass when they are feeling nauseated as they feel it can help settle their stomachs.

His stomach is definitely not distended. When he had his inflammatory bowel dx before dx'ed, he would often throw up at night - So this might be a variant of his Inflammatory dx. Time to walk him some more..

Could this be a flare up of his inflammatory bowel disease? That is very possible too! I wanted you to have a great link for your reference on the bloat / GDV.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=672

Now that I see the term volvulus , I understand what bloat is.. wish they simply said bloat is when the stomach twists on itself.. we see this in the distal colon and occasionally in the area of the cecum in humans..

Sometimes the terminology gets tagged to situations where it is a little of a misnomer. Dogs can just get bloat of the stomach - I typically see it due to overindulging of food. The food bloats can progress to a GDV (gastric dilation volvulus) if it twists on its axis. I'm always amazed how things in the abdominal cavity stay in a relatively happy position when I see those cases of GDV's or intestinal torsions. I'm sure a distal colon twist or cecum that twists are extremely painful and critical fast.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian