Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Heavily panting, shacking keeps tail between legs and won't…

Customer Question
Heavily panting, shacking keeps tail...
Heavily panting, shacking keeps tail between legs and won't let us touch her tail. Constanley licking her lips like she has cotton mouth.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your dog isn't feeling well tonight. I will do my best to help.

When I hear of pets who are unable to settle like you're describing, there are two different causes I'm looking for: either physical discomfort of some kind (including pain anywhere, itching, or nausea) or anxiety. As you can imagine, physical discomfort is pretty much impossible for me to assess without seeing her myself, but most times owners have an idea of what might be bothering their dog by watching their behavior. Some dogs with sore backs will guard their spine (tighten their belly muscles when you try to bend their back), some dogs with joint or limb pain will limp, dogs with severe itching are easy to spot because you're seeing lots of scratching. Nausea or GI discomfort is often followed by vomiting or diarrhea - they can get all crampy just like we can when they are having a GI upset. The lip licking that you're seeing makes me most suspicious that she could be nauseous, as lip licking/smacking of the lips is a common prelude to vomiting in these guys. I've seen dogs with things like abscessed anal glands, severe allergies, fleas, GI upsets (diarrhea or vomiting), back or limb pain, and even ear infections be up all night pacing and trying to settle. The possibilities, unfortunately, are many. If we've done a full physical and potentially some lab work if we thought it indicated and we cannot see any sign of physical problems, that's when we will consider anxiety. Obviously some pets show us with their behavior that it's anxiety by "targeting" the source of their anxiety - for instance, my dog had a serious phobia of stink bugs, which would cause him to pant, drool excessively, pace, and whine any time we had one in the house. It took me awhile, but eventually I recognized that the bug was the trigger. Equipped with these tips, I think that you may be able to have a better idea of what's bothering her. Red flags that indicate that we need to seek emergency care would be: any sort of abdominal distention, pale or white gums, very high heart rate (>140 beats per minute), or any sort of labored breathing.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian