Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is lethargic, 't want to eat drink or play

Customer Question
my dog is lethargic, don't...
my dog is lethargic, don't want to eat drink or play
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello Lydia,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Lydia,

Sorry to hear that Bella is feeling unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below, but what you should do if symptoms continue is have a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later.

1. I say this because : While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet I would say from the fact that she is lethargic and has inappetance that it is possible that she is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the most common cause for these symptoms in a dog of her age group.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature, but you should be aware that a range of other diagnosis are also possible.

3. In the meantime until you can get Bella to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and if possible make sure she is taking fluids regularly.

I am sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Lydia E,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?

Hi Lydia,

I am just checking back in to see how Bella is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her sudden onset lethargy ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott