Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My grown daughters 14 mo old lab ate most of a bottle of…

Customer Question
My grown daughters 14 mo...
My grown daughters 14 mo old lab ate most of a bottle of 200IU vitamin d pills this AM
She lives in northern Wisconsin and its Sunday but she found vet open in GreenBay -about 100 miles away. She immediately drove there and they took a blood test which was normal. They gave her something to put in his food and told her to have his blood tested every day for the next 4 days. What do you feel is the outlook for this dog? She loves him with all her heart and is just going to pieces. I wish he was on an IV now, or am I wrong? Please prepare us for what's ahead. Thank you so much. Marlene
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many pills were in the bottle?

2- This is vitamin d3, correct?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- What is the name of the medication they gave her?

120 pills in the bottle, dog weighs 75 lbs, yes it's vitamin d3 , the medication they gave her is 4 gram packet of powder - cholestyram.

Did he ingest all 120 pills?

Friend, I can not do a live call at this moment. Would you like to continue here with me on this thread or I can opt out for another expert to help you. Please let me know.

Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago
brisadog

Hi, I can help you with your question today. Give me just a few minutes to calculate his exposure.

Dog Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 2 years ago

I tried to accept the phone call request and the system said there was a problem with payment. I have sent you a new phone call proposal.

Please cancel everything as her dog is with his vet right now.