Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 12 year old Sheltie is panting, anxious, and continues

Customer Question
to paw us like she...
Our 12 year old Sheltie is panting, anxious, and continues to paw us like she is trying to tell us something. She usually rests and sleeps when we are all together. We are on vacation in a new place. Otherwise she is fine, going on walks, eating, etc. should we be alarmed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 1 year ago
Ola Barrett

Hello I am Dr RB:-) If Lucy is otherwise normal than this doesn't sound too concerning for me. I think it is most likely that she is in a new place and senses that her routine has changed. I find that herding breeds are particularly sensitive to change in schedules, places and people etc. They want everyone to gather in a familiar place simultaneously. Sometimes panting and anxiety can occur in when dogs are experiencing pain or discomfort however the the fact that her appetite is good and her bathroom habits are unchanged makes this less likely. I would, however, continue to watch dr closely for any such changes and just give her extra TLC until she settles in to her surroundings and feels more secure. I hope this advice is helpful to you and Lucy. Please let me know if you have other questions or if anything should change. Also if you would take the time to rate my response today it would be very appreciated 😊

Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 1 year ago

Hello just checking to see how Lucy is doing today? Let me know if you have other questions? If you are happy with my response, please take the time to give me a positive rating..thanks so much;)

Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett