Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

MY DOG JUST ATE LANTANA AND WENT INTO SHOCK, HE SEIZED AND

Customer Question

Customer: MY DOG JUST ATE LANTANA AND WENT INTO SHOCK, HE SEIZED AND DROOLED BADLY. FELL OVER...HE SEEMS TO BE OK NOW BUT HOW HORRIBLE FOR HIM...A SIBERIAN....ANYTHING I SHOULD DO?? I AM RIPPING THE PLANT OIT OF MY YARD.. THANK YOU, ***** ***** MORRISON
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: HE WENT INTO A SEIZURE AND FELL OVER, DROOLING BADLY AND SHAKING HORRIBLY.. SHOCK MODE....IT WAS AWFUL AND NOW HE IS FINE...WE PULLED OUT PEICES OF LANTANA...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Are you sure he ate lantana? His reaction isn't consistent with intoxication by that plant but I can't rule out an idiosyncratic (peculiar) reaction. Please see here: http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/lantana/ In any event, there's no specific antidote and treatment is supportive only - IV fluids if he remained shocky, anticonvulsive medication if he continued to seize, e.g. It sounds like he has remissed unaided, however, and not in need of any treatment. May I have an update on him, please?