How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28533
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

MY DOG JUST ATE LANTANA AND WENT INTO SHOCK, HE SEIZED AND

Customer Question

Customer: MY DOG JUST ATE LANTANA AND WENT INTO SHOCK, HE SEIZED AND DROOLED BADLY. FELL OVER...HE SEEMS TO BE OK NOW BUT HOW HORRIBLE FOR HIM...A SIBERIAN....ANYTHING I SHOULD DO?? I AM RIPPING THE PLANT OIT OF MY YARD.. THANK YOU, ***** ***** MORRISON
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: HE WENT INTO A SEIZURE AND FELL OVER, DROOLING BADLY AND SHAKING HORRIBLY.. SHOCK MODE....IT WAS AWFUL AND NOW HE IS FINE...WE PULLED OUT PEICES OF LANTANA...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Are you sure he ate lantana? His reaction isn't consistent with intoxication by that plant but I can't rule out an idiosyncratic (peculiar) reaction. Please see here: http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/lantana/ In any event, there's no specific antidote and treatment is supportive only - IV fluids if he remained shocky, anticonvulsive medication if he continued to seize, e.g. It sounds like he has remissed unaided, however, and not in need of any treatment. May I have an update on him, please?