Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My name is ***** *****, I came home to my dog acting

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****, I came home to my dog acting strange. I have seen him after he accidentally consumed marijuana, and he is acting similarly, but he didn't get any pot, since there isn't any in the house. His pupils are dilated and responding slowly, he is acting fearful and off-balance.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

His gums are pinkish red and responsive to pressure, but he is not drinking water, his nose is dry. I think he may have eaten mold in the shower, which my landlord isn't doing anything about. Is he safe, do I need to induce vomiting, should I take him to the vet?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear that your dog is behaving oddly. Can you please tell me his age and breed? Are his eyes darting side to side or does he have a head tilt? If you take him outside do his pupils constrict?

Thank you

He is almost 8 years old, Shetland Sheepdog.
His eyes are not darting and he doesn't have a head tilt, but his legs aren't being supportive, he's off-balance, and I shined a light in his eyes and his pupils constricted slowly and out of syncopation with one another.

Thank you for the additional information. Are there any plants he could have ingested? Any medications? Is he responsive to you if you call his name (focus on you)? Lastly, will he take a treat or favorite toy?

I don't know if you could see all of the messages sent to the automatic messenger, but it's behaviors that he exhibited both the time he consumed marijuana and the time he had ivermectin toxicity. He has not been in contact with either substance. I tried to give him his toy, and he acting scared of it. He is responsive to his name, not on any medications aside from Panoramis which I am not administering for another week.

Yes I did see your original response, I just wanted to make sure there were no other possible ingestions because as you said he is acting as if he ingested something he shouldn't have and this can be medicinal or also a plant can cause this as well. No chance of anything in the yard such as mushrooms either?

When you say he is responsive he will make eye contact if you call his name?

None of the plants in the yard are toxic, he has been spending a lot of time standing in the shower, though, which drips and has mold present, the landlord is yet to rectify this. His head is actually wet. I checked the yard for mushrooms as soon as I saw him acting like this and there are none.

Thank you again for your responses. Is he making eye contact? Do you think he can see at this time?

There is a condition that can cause the pupils to dilate that are not causes by anything ingested and want to ensure he can see clearly still as a precaution

Is he doing any circling?

Yeah, he's making eye contact. He can see, he's flinching whenever anything comes near him. Not really circling, but he's running in fear and just peed when I tried to touch him

I don't think it sounds like he is in a life threatening situation but one thing I cannot rule out as a concern is an acute increase in blood pressure causing his symptoms and that can be a concern tonight

My suggestion is to have him evaluated tonight with his symptoms and not wait to see if this resolves on its own. If he does have a high blood pressure then this should be treated to ensure there is no damage to the eyes, heart, kidneys, liver and if everything appears to be stable give him something to aid in allowing him to rest comfortably as this passes through his system

But I would consider a veterinary visit today if you are able and not wait...

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Alright, thank you so much.

You are very welcome, you both are in my thoughts and hopefully this will pass without incident...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your dog to see how he is doing? Were you able to get to the er? What was found? I would love an update when you are able...

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman