Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I wonder if you can help ... I have 2 springers aged 13 and…

Customer Question
Hello I wonder if you...
Hello I wonder if you can help ... I have 2 springers aged 13 and 14 and the older one is having water work problems and lost weight ....I suspect old age and wondered if any medication to help can be recommended please ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Mollie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Could you tell me what you mean by water works problem? Is she drinking more water, urinating more often, havin accidents in the house? Does she seem to urinate without knowing she is doing it?

If she is drinking more, urinating more, and losing weight, the things I would be worried about are chronic kidney disease, diabetes, kidney or bladder infection, and Cushing's disease, where the adrenal glands are over active. The treatment would depend on which of these conditions she has.

If she were mine, I would start with an exam, a urinalysis and then possibly blood tests. Let me know what other questions you have.

Hi Rebecca she is urinating a lot and smells of urine all time . She doesn't appear in pain and eats well

The first thing to do is a urinalysis to find out if she has a bladder infection and needs antibiotics, if she is diabetic, or if she has old age female incontinence (loss of control of the urinary bladder sphincter). The treatmet will vary depending on what she has. If it is incontinence, there are a few different prescription medications that may help.

Please let me know if this was helpful and what else I can answer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mollie. How is everything going?

How is Mollie doing?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian