Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 5 year old morkie - healthy about 11lbs we live in…

Customer Question
hi I have a 5 year...
hi
I have a 5 year old morkie - healthy about 11lbs
we live in nyc and over the past 2 days she has been having soft and today watery diarrhea - - seems to be getting worse
advice
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Given Maddie's small size and the progression to not improving on its own, this is not something we can do a wait-and-see approach on. She is so little she is at high risk for marked dehydration. If she is becoming depressed/lethargic, not eating, has developed vomiting or there is blood in the stool, then you need to take her to be seen on emergency. Otherwise I do have a few things you could try at home today and if not working by tomorrow then take her to be seen by her veterinarian.

What could you try at home?

1) Feed a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day.

2) If not eating well but still an appetite you could give famotidine 10mg at ½ tablet every 12 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

3) Peptobismol liquid: Give 1/2 (one-half) ml by mouth every 8 hours for diarrhea. This medication must be given 1 hour after any other medication as it will coat the system and can potentially prevent absorption of other medications.

4) Probiotic supplementation: Start a probiotic such as one made for dogs (Proviable or Fortiflora) or you may use culturelle as made for people (1 capsule daily). Or if you cannot get any of those products then give 1 tsp of plain yogurt once daily.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified