Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog, a Shitzu, is having problems with bowel movement. He

Customer Question

My dog, a Shitzu, is having problems with bowel movement. He tries but only a Lil bit comes out runny.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It could be that Lizzie is constipated and only the liquid part is coming out. It also could be that he has diarrhea and feels like he has to go ll the time. This is a digestive disturbance of some form. For this, follow these instructions:

Fast Lizzie for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1) with a teaspoon of vegetable oil in case she is constipated.

If the distress has resolved, then wean sweet Lizzie back onto regular food. If the it persists especially during the fast, take Lizzie to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi ***** *****,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lizzie. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta