Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Just looking to see if my 15 pound dog is going to be okay…

Customer Question
Just looking to see...

Just looking to see if my 15 pound dog is going to be okay after eating a partially full Terro Bait

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The package was left open and on the floor. Then I noticed she was inquiring about it, so I put it up on the counter. She is 11months old and weighs about 15 pounds. When I was walking my other dog she must have gotten a hold of it and ate the contents but not the package.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Can you tell me if your dog ate the plastic as well as the bait, or just ate the contents of the bait?

Hello? Are you there? As I read your question it appears your pup did not eat the package, correct? Is she acting normally right now?

She is acting normal.

Ok. And it is the Terro brand bait she ate ? Just a small amount of the bait inside the packaging?

Luckily if she has just eaten a portion of the Terro brand ant bait and not the packaging itself, you do not need to fret. The active ingredient in these baits is usually Borax and is not toxic in the doses found in one ant bait, so the real concern with these traps is if the dogs eats the whole trap, and then the concern is the plastic, not the bait.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.. If you do not have any other questions, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Just checking to see if your dog was doing ok and if you had received my answer?

Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian