Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How can I calm my 11 wk old German Shepard down at night, to…

Customer Question
How can I calm my...
How can I calm my 11 wk old German Shepard down at night, to get him to sleep outside? He seems to be suffering seperation anxiety
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** How long has Archie been a member of your family? How is potty training going? Is he mainly an outdoor dog?

We have had Archie for 2 weeks now, his potty training is going ok, as long as I am on top of him, take him out as soon as he wakes or after a drink. But if left unattended will wee and poo inside, and especially anytime he feels a new surface under his paws eg. Carpet. I would love for him to be an inside dog, but at this stage it doesn't seem possible, I know it's only been a few weeks, i die to have a baby in the next 6 was though. His biting of feet/ankles and clothing is also a huge issue I see.

It sounds like he's being a pretty normal puppy. They can be pretty challenging in the first couple months as they are maturing mentally and physically. It needs to be understood that they require training as they are learning each and every day what is acceptable and what isn't. If he's making progress on the potty training, then that is good! It shows that you're doing things right and that he's able to be taught things. I would have high confidence that with persistence and patience on your part that he can be molded into a very good companion. As far as the separation issue, here is a great link on what to do there.

http://dogtime.com/how-to/project-puppy/3572-5-tips-teach-pup-to-be-alone-andrea-arden

As far as the potty training, the absolute biggest mistake I see with owners here is the puppy being allowed to be out when not supervised. If they aren't going to be watched, then they need to be crated. I'm an absolute supporter of crate training.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian