Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a swollen gland on one of her nipples .... I

Customer Question
noticed it yesterday.... She has...
My dog has a swollen gland on one of her nipples .... I noticed it yesterday.... She has a appt. a the vet. on Monday ....... It tired helping her by putting a hot towel on it and squeezed to help relieve some ... I did it once went I saw it and once at night .... I seemed like it help her a bit ... now it's morning and she seems to be in pain.. Looks like She is hurting when she is walking bout ... Should I do that process again... Or just wait till she goes to vet tomorrow
Red nose pit bull ...age 5 ... Inside dog ... Has a healthy med. record ... Not spaded ..... No litters....finished heat in November....
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Ressy. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help.

I would continue the warm moist compresses through the day but I would not recommend squeezing the gland.

How much does she weigh? You could give aspirin for the pain and inflammation. Only give aspirin and only with food. You can give 1 low doses aspirin per 15 to 20 pounds of body weight if it does not cause her to vomit. You can do that twice daily.

Please let me know how she is doing and what other questions you have.

She weight about 47 to 50 pounds..... Right now she is just laying off ....she has not eating anything today yet... But she is drinking water

I am worried if she is not eating. If you look at her gums, are they pink in color or pale? Can you take her temp with a thermometer? Normal is between 101 and 102.

They look like they normally do ..... She ate yesterday bout 5 pm .... And I don't have a thermometer to take her temperature is there anything else I can do

If she has an infected gland, she needs antibiotics and that means having a veterinarian examine her. Until then the warm compresses and aspirin are all you can do. Try to get her to take some food and then try giving her 2 low dose aspirins or 1/2 regular aspirin for inflammation and pain.

She has an appointment tomorrow morning I was trying to get her in yesterday when I noticed it ... But they where booked ..... I was thinking that might be what's wrong .... I just finished doing some warm compression on it seems like it's help a bit .... It's just seem like Monday is to far away I just don't want anything to happen to here ...
she just threw up dinner from last night .....and she is back to drinking water now

If she is vomiting, I am even more worried about her. Is there an emergency clinic open today near you?

Do not give aspirin if she is vomiting. Keep her hydrated with liquids like water, broth and Pedialyte and continue the warm compresses until a vet can examine her.

I see an after hour pager number for the vet ....

That would be a good place to start.

How is she doing? Let me know if I can answer anything else and if this was helpfu. I hope she is doing better soon.

How is Ressy doing? Can I help with or answer anything else? Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you (helps me!). I hope she is doing better.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian