Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have an elderly rescue dog who is at least 14 years old.

Customer Question
She is a mix of...
I have an elderly rescue dog who is at least 14 years old. She is a mix of Rottweiler, Pit Bull, and Lab of some sort. She has arthritis (which she usually gets medicine for.) She has stopped eating as she normally would. I cooked some plain chicken to feed her yesterday. She did accept some, but threw up bright yellow stuff off and on throughout the night. She usually enjoys her life and plays a lot. It's obvious that she doesn't feel well, and I'm not sure what to do. We have a 24/7 emergency animal hospital, but I am afraid that, because of her age, they will want to put her down. I want to give her every chance possible.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she currently on any medications? If so, what are the names?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Is she lethargic?

1) She is normally on Rymadol, joint supplements, and a generic version of allergy medicine as needed (she drops down onto her belly, and won't get back up until the medicine has started working. As soon as her stomach started causing problems, I stopped all medication.2) She weighs mid 60 pounds.3) She only wants to sleep, and wants nothing to do with her crate (where she usually sleeps at night.) Her breathing has been shallow at times; so I have been sleeping with her.............NOT in the crate!! :o) !

I am sorry for the delay in response. I had some technical issues at this end.

1- Any other symptoms?

2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?