Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I think my dog must have eaten something that upset her

Customer Question
Customer: Hi, yes I think...
Customer: Hi, yes I think my dog must have eaten something that upset her stomach and my guess is a piece of fried chicken she was got her paws on. it was boneless but shes licking the air constantly and gulping and licking her paws and I am worried that she needs to throw up but she can't should I induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think my dog must have eaten something that upset her stomach and my guess is a piece of fried chicken she was got her paws on. it was boneless but shes licking the air constantly and gulping and licking her paws and I am worried that she needs to throw up but she can't should I induce vomiting
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She was packing around for awhile but seems to have settled back down a bit. this has happened a few other times and it has passed, but its becoming more frequent I think. I don't think its bloat she will sit and lay down I think she is nauseas but my question is whether or not to induce vomiting if my dog just seems really nauseas but hasn't eaten anything poisonous.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
pacing not packing!
1/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

If you think she is nauseous due to eating something fatty, then we would be suspicious that she may be a dog prone to pancreatitis. This could also explain why you are seeing this more when she has these kinds of food. Now one could induce vomiting but its usually not necessary. Instead, you can settle the nausea if mild by giving her an OTC antacid. antacid. Common OTC options we can use here would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once that is on board and she is more settled, you can plan to offer a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled and this can help soothe mild pancreatitis as well.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian