Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

11year pit mix limping on left front, foot cold to touch…

Customer Question
11year pit mix limping on...
11year pit mix limping on left front, foot cold to touch compared to other feet
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has his leg been like this?

Is he dragging it? Does he appear to have any feeling or pain with it?

Any history of health issues (ie heart, marrow issues, etc)?

Intermittent limping. No other health issues. Paw cold to touch compared to other three. Had back surgery 5 years ago, 3 discs involved. Currently on NSAID, gabapentin, tramadol

Thank you,

My apologies that we seem to be playing a bit of time zone tag.

In any case, this chilled paw is concerning. If he has use of it (no paralysis) then I would be wary of a possible partial obstruction or reduction of blood flow to this foot. We can see this with clots partially obstructing the blood vessels that feed the leg but can also see this if a lymph node or mass is compressing those vessels. And I would note that that reduced flow could certainly cause him to struggle with the foot intermittently (just as we do when our foot "falls asleep").

Now since he is on so many pain relief and anti-inflammatories already, I would suggesting ringing his vet to discuss this. We'd not expect this to be related to his previous surgery, but we'd want to head off any other issues here. If they feel he is neurologically normal, then we may need to check his heart health (since that can be the source of clots) with a heart scan +/- check for any compression of the local blood vessels for this leg. Otherwise, we may need to consider blood thinners or further testing to get to the root of what is decreasing blood flow such to cause these signs for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)