How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 30381
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog swallowed a piece of hard rubber from a dog toy.

Customer Question

My dog swallowed a piece of hard rubber from a dog toy. Having trouble swallowing. What should I do or how do I induce vomiting? He ate a little bit of dog food and a small treat since then but seems uncomfortable.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. A dog the size of Ralph should be able to pass a small piece of hard rubber through his gastrointestinal tract unaided. His eating after swallowing the rubber is a positive prognostic sign. Anorexia and persistent vomiting are the symptoms of GI obstruction. May I have an update on Ralph, please?