Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What is the costofconsultation?
, my twodogshave been…

Customer Question
What is the costofconsultation...

What is the costofconsultation?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

My twodogshave been on and off with diaorrhea for three weeks. I managed tocontrol it slightly with chicken and rice. then i gotthem vaccinated, acoupleofdays later it returned, went to vet,got one of the dogs an antibiotic and noroclav tablets...today for the whole day they didnt drink water...as i have been giving them chicken rice and pumpkin i have added liquid...

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Prescribing an antibiotic - particularly Noroclav which is known to cause gastrointestinal distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea - as a common adverse side effect - puzzles me. My initial therapy for two dogs in a household suffering from intermittent diarrhea would be 7 consecutive days of fenbendazole (Panacur) - a broad spectrum wormer against all of the nematodes (roundworms, hookworms, whipworms) as well as the protozoan Giardia. Fenbendazole is available over the counter in many pet/feed stores. If I didn't see a positive response to that drug I might pursue diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests plus a fecal ova and parasite exam. The use of antibiotics should be restricted to gastrointestinal infections expected to respond to an antibiotic - Clostridial bacteria, Campylobacter, and Salmonella, mainly - and these are detected by culturing the feces.

Please note, too, that pumpkin often acts as a bulk laxative and so should be avoided at this time. It can be helpful in certain chronic colitises, however. Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian