Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate half a cough drop.

Customer Question
Hi I'm Brad. My dog...
Hi I'm Brad. My dog ate half a cough drop.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Luckily most cough drops will only cause mild gastrointestinal upset as long as there is no xylitol (sugar free formula) in it. Secondarily, if there is menthol it can cause some numbing of the esophagus and stomach but otherwise there shouldn't be any concerns

One article lists:

While many times cough drop exposures will amount to nothing more than gastrointestinal upset, the drops can contain ingredients that create more serious consequences.

Most cough drops contain sugar, menthol, eucalyptus oil, colors, and flavors – ingredients that all may cause gastrointestinal upset. Obstruction may be a concern as well, depending on the number of drops ingested, the size of the pet and whether wrappers were also ingested (for Sutton ingesting 1/2 cough drop this shouldn't be an issue).

Infrequently, xylitol may be found in cough drops. Xylitol can cause hypoglycemia and possible liver injury depending on the amount present in the cough drops and how many were ingested.

Another ingredient of concern is benzocaine. Benzocaine most often causes gastrointestinal upset; however, benzocaine is metabolized into compounds which are capable of causing methemoglobinemia at high doses.

As a precaution:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days
- Leash walks to help the cough drop pass more readily of >15 minutes the next 12-24 hours
- Tomorrow bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today, I am online another 15 minutes to assist you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am signing off in just a few moments...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Good morning, I wanted to check in on Sutton to see how things were going after the ingestion of the cough drop?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian